Dessert, serves 16, 20 minutes + approx. 1 hour setting
For the date cake:
• 250 g unsalted butter, plus a little for greasing the cake tin
• 100 g walnuts
• 500 g fresh dates
• 2 tbsp honey
• 200 g (plain) biscuits
For the coconut frosting:
• approx. ½ tsp JOZO 03 fine Himalayan salt
• 125 ml coconut milk
• 100 ml honey
• 2 tbsp cornflour
• 4 tbsp water
• 300 ml coconut oil
• 20 g walnuts
You will also need:
square or rectangular cake tin which holds approx. 1.2 litres
some greaseproof paper for lining the tin
1. Break the biscuits into small pieces. Cut the dates into equally small pieces and chop the walnuts finely.
2. Melt the butter in a pan on a low heat then add the honey and dates. Stir for 3 minutes, then add the biscuits and walnuts. Stir well and turn off the heat, then purée coarsely using a stick blender.
3. Take a square or rectangular cake tin, line the base with greaseproof paper and grease the sides well with butter. Tip the mixture into the tin and press down well, especially in the corners.
4. Now make the frosting. Pour the coconut milk and honey into a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make a paste from the cornflour and water. Add this to the warm coconut milk and return to the boil. In another pan, melt the coconut oil. Pour the coconut milk mixture into a bowl, add the warm coconut oil and mix until you have a smooth, light frosting. Pour this mixture onto the date cake and leave it in the freezer to set for approx. 1 hour, until the frosting is hard.
5. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and Himalayan salt. Cut into squares with a sharp knife.